1.12.2009

My Year In Lists


As promised previously, here is my mythical and always highly anticipated Best of the Year lists!!!!

(The extra exclamation points are there to emphasize my complete awesomeness.)

Now, normally, I would expound at length on each entry of each list, or at the very least on the choice for number one. As it stands, though, I am loathe to do so at this time, because I can't quite verbally quantify my feelings for some of the entrants on these here ladders of excellence. And so, I expound not at all. (Except here, because that is how I roll. Deal with it, America!)

In any event, these are my favorites of this past Year of Someone's Lord, Two-Thousand and Eight. Notice I do not say "Greatest" or "Best", because one's mileage may vary. (Though why anyone would think to disagree with me, I'll never know. I am right and good in all things. Like Ghandi.)

So yes, so anyway, here's a list of things. Links where appropriate. Maybe a picture. Enjoy it. Add comments at the end, let's see what some of yours are.

FILMS
  1. The Wrestler
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Wall-E
  4. Cloverfield (I wrote about this here. You should read it.)
  5. Iron Man

ALBUMS
  1. Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster... / We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed (They put out two full albums this year. I'm counting both, as both are amazing, though each has a slightly different feel.)
  2. Thrice - The Alchemy Index, vol 3 & 4: Air & Earth
  3. the Killers - Day and Age
  4. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
  5. Stars - Sad Robots EP
  6. Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins
  7. Atmosphere -When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
  8. Paddy's Well - First Friday (this is my dad's band!)
  9. Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony
  10. Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer?

SONGS (links lead to downloadable versions of the songs. I cannot guarantee the links will last forever.)
  1. Baskervilles - "A Little More Time"
  2. the Decemberists - "Valerie Plame"
  3. Los Campesinos! - "We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed"
  4. Okkervil River - "Calling and Not Calling My Ex"
  5. Chairlift - "Bruises"
  6. the Killers - "Spaceman"
  7. Ben Folds - "You Don't Know Me (feat. Regina Spektor)"
  8. Alkaline Trio - "Help Me"
  9. Amanda Palmer - "Astronaut (A Short History Of Nearly Nothing)"
  10. Los Campesinos! - "Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats"

COMICS (specific issues highlighted): creative team
  1. Casanova Vol 2. (issue #14): Matt Fraction, Fabio Moon
  2. All-Star Superman (issue #10): Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely
  3. Pax Romana (4 issue miniseries): Jonathan Hickman
  4. Final Crisis (issue #5): Grant Morrison, JG Jones, Carlos Pacheco
  5. Aetheric Mechanics (a graphic novella): Warren Ellis, Gianluca Pagliarani

TELEVISION
  1. The Venture Brothers season 3
  2. Doctor Who season 4
  3. The Venture Brothers season 3
  4. ok, so I don't watch a whole lot of television...


So there you go. Comment with your opinions. Otherwise, I'm just going to assume that all my lists are comprehensive and completely correct.

Excelsior! And never forget:

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home