3.05.2008

New Comics 3/05/08

I bought stuff!

Release list 3/5/08

After a few weeks of NOTHING coming out, there was finally some love given to me by the demiurges at the comic publishing companies. (This includes one that came out last week that I didn't get 'til now. Sorry I skipped a week, but there were. . . complications.)


Batman #674

Grant Morrison's run on Batman has been. . . interesting, to say the least. He's doing something similar to his All-Star Superman series here, in that he's bringing a lot of Silver Age concepts back and putting them into current continuity. The execution hasn't been up to his best, I will admit, but the story he's been trying to tell (which keeps getting interrupted by stupid corporate mandated crossovers and artist delays) is starting to come together, in a way that reminds me of his New X-men run from a few years ago: seemingly disparate stories that have a slowly revealed connective tissue. It'll be fun to read it all at once when they story is finished.

Casanova #12

Matt Fraction has been on a roll, and I want to give him a hug. Every issue of Casanova is just better and better than the last. And the most amazing thing? The main character (Casanova Quinn, super-spy, love, fighter, dimension-hopping bon vivant, and general vagabond) has been absent from the series since the second "album" started in issue #8. The subtitle of the storyline has been "When is Casanova Quinn?", and while that provides the through-line, the surface story has been focused more on the current actions of his (thought dead, but really not) sister Zephyr, who is as much of a bad-ass as he is. This issue is titled "Fuck Shit Up", and believe me, she does.

Pax Romana #2 (of 4)

Jonathan Hickman's miniseries The Nightly News was my favorite comic/graphic art project of last year, so when I heard his next project coming was a 4 issue mini involving time travel, Catholic Church history, and Constantine in Rome, I shouted out "SOLD!" and plunked my money down right then. (Of course, I was in the middle of a library, and looked rather foolish doing so. There were stern glares issued all around.) Thus far, the series has been fairly interesting, less full of sidebars and statistics as The Nightly News, but still very wordy, and still featuring Hickman's distinctive art style. If you like historical/speculative fiction, I would very highly recommend this.

So what are you reading?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger m. said...

I am on a Pynchon kick. I am complex and intellectual like that. I s'pose. You STILL need to tackle Against The Day. You'd like it, Tesla shows his face in it.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home