10.23.2006

Art is hard.

Album art is very important.

The first thing you see in a record/cd store is the art on the cover. It can be eye-catching, or it can blend in. I feel like the slow transition to on-line music stores is actually sounding the deathknell of well-constructed album art. I've always felt a good cover can do many things: contrast the music within, add to it, comment on it, comment on the themes of the work, anything. So, with that said: these are my top 10 favorite album covers ever.

1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
I wrote a paper for an art class about the symbolism and composition of this cover. I lost it though, so you're lucky to not be subjected to it. In any event, this is my favorite album cover ever.

2. the Beatles - Abbey Road
Paul's barefoot, because Paul is dead.

3. Radiohead - OK Computer
Moreso than just the front cover art, the entire package is amazing on an aesthetic level. Little written messages in the spine, and a visual representation of the alienation contained therein. Good stuff.

4. weezer - weezer (blue album)
Simple band shot against a blue background. Like the music, not too complicated, but memorable.

5. Spinal Tap - Smell the Glove
Its like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is: None. None... more black.

6. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Anyone who talks to me about movies and art knows I'm a sucker for extreme symmetry, and this is a perfect example of such. Its also a visual representation of the album's themes of the breakdown in communication between individuals. Notice: 2 figures, 2 open mouths, and line between them... but no ears

7. Midtown - Forget What You Know
This is the newest cover on my list, a visual portrait of the loneliness and alienation in American society. "So long as we keep our bodies numb we're safe."

8. Elliott Smith - XO
I like the transparent reflection. And its Elliott. Simple as that.

9. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
I don't know what it is about this one, but the colors, combined with the slightly asymmetrical design, just catch my eye and make for a striking image.

10. Jets to Brazil - Perfecting Loneliness
You think I'd make a music-related list and leave out my favorite album of all time? What a wonderful painting, perfectly capturing the mood of the entire album contained therein.

Ok. and here's one for the hell of it. I have a poster of it, and its such a wonderful concept put into practice.

It'd be pretty cool to see what all of yours are. Why not post your own list?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger m. said...

I feel as if I've read this before?

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh great
you post and don't tell me

well i'll get around to album covers once i get through these two blog entries

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home