1.02.2006

We dream of ways to break these iron bars.

For awhile, from about 1999-2004 I was fairly interested in politics. I would read all the various news sites, pick up books by political commentators, watch TV news (except for FOX News Channel, since they're the devil), and generally keep up with what was going on in the nation. The first "election" of George W. Bush just increased my verve and vigor for this, and when the 2nd election came rolling around, I was a fire-breathing helldemon for getting him out of office.

As should be obvious, he won.

Since that time, I've become increasingly more and more disillusioned with politics and the media, and yes, the American people. I couldn't believe that someone who was so odious to me, and to, it seems, most people of intelligence, could convince so many people of his competence at a job that he kind of... well almost... ok, didn't really get elected to. The media was apparently just laying back and saying to the White House "Go ahead, guys, give it to us raw, we like it like that.", and the politics of change had ceased to be. At least to me. I mean, this is the type of stuff that drove Hunter Thompson to suicide, and if my hero couldn't outlast it, what could I do?

So I dropped out.

I still pay some form of attention to the news, but only superficially, and even then I end up complaining more about what they're not saying. I only really go to one or two news sites anymore, and they're not mainstream US ones. I read Al Franken's new book, The Truth (With Jokes) and enjoyed it, but it made me angry as well. But for the most part, I am out of politics, maybe for good. I get too frustrated, and there's too much lying and half-truths and willful misuse of power, and while I expect a little bit of that (it's the nature of the Beast), this is getting ridiculous.

But.

But, every so often, I find something that gives me a little bit of hope that there is some sort of reprieve in the near future. Whether short- or long-term, who knows. Really, no solution is long-term, as anything man-made is inherently transient. Even me.

In any event, politics and politicians (especially Conservative Republicans) give me migranes. Pop-culture, though... that's a different headache... and a different blog.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home